Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Tale of Two Companies

I thought I would use today's post to sing the praises of a couple of businesses: Mystic Muffin and Discount.

I walk to work and I rarely eat breakfast before I leave in the morning. I actually prefer to get a little something on the way and eat it at my desk. I used to stop in at Tim Horton's for a muffin, but the one closest to my house is small and crowded. The one on my route to work is in a gas station and the service is slower than Paris Hilton.

...or is she "fast"?

Just beyond my workplace, however, is an independent place called Mystic Muffin. I had an aversion to the place initially, because a certain instructor of mine at Ry-High used to torture the class repeatedly with daily references to the shop: the owner had been featured in a project the year before and the instructor wouldn't shut up about it. I took a chance one day, though, and haven't regretted it. The young lady behind the counter must have the world's best memory. I haven't had to repeat my order since. In fact, if I want something different, I have to stop her from cutting the sesame seed bagel that she snags the moment I walk through the door. It's amazing. I've felt like a regular ever since.

Now that's good business.

Now you wouldn't expect that I'd be singing the praises of a rent-a-car shop, but I thought the Discount Car and Truck Rental operation at Queen and Jarvis deserved an honourable mention. I'll spare you the long story, but suffice it to say there was some confusion about the number of free kilometres available to me for a cargo van rental the other week. I went back to discuss the bill. I was expecting to have to put up a fight and summon some righteous indignation, but to my surprise the manager listened to my story attentively, was very courteous and polite and with a quick check of his computer offered to refund the difference. I didn't even have to frown. And, oh, I was ready to frown.

Now that's good business.

See? Now those businesses have recos from me on the internet. Good for them.

Now run along and tell two friends, and so on and so on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey - the store next to Mystic Muffin used to be my fave gift shop in the city - Solstice. It moved to Front/Jarvis when the vagrants from the mission next door kept shoplifting. It's now called Pink Poppy...also worth checking out! - Jenna