Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Film Review: Away From Her

Wow. And I thought Spider-Man 3 was depressing...

First off, let me say that this is a good movie. It's a great Canadian movie.

It's all relative, folks.

For those out of the loop, Away From Her is directed by Sarah Polley, the largely-overrated Canadian darling, and features the likes of Gordon Pinsent, Julie Christie and Olympia Dukakis in a script adapted (by Polley) from a short story entitled "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" by Alice Munro. Basically, the story is about a husband and wife who struggle with the latter's worsening case of Alzheimer's.

While the direction might be simple and straightforward, the movie works because of the great performances - especially those turned in by Pinsent and Christie. For the most part it's a subtle film, a nice change of pace from most cinema fare.

I actually felt a bit of dampness around my eye region at one point, which is saying something 'cause I'm a cold hearted bastard . I haven't cried in a theatre since E.T.

...both times.

My friend and I were the only two in the theatre without blue hair, which is a shame. This is the type of film "kids" need to be exposed to - willingly or not. I can recall a similar film from my childhood: On Golden Pond, which was also a film featuring older actors and pretty depressing themes.

But this film? THIS film is depressing.

Wow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am desperate to see this film, but think it might be best to go alone. And wear big dark glasses when leaving the theatre.

Thanks for the review, Mister.

J

Petronela Serb said...

ok, I can't let this movie have the label "depressing" stuck onto it. Yes, it deals with illness, old age, separation from the ones you love (and most importantly from yourself). Yes, it will rattle your soul, and yes, it might make you shed a tear or two. But, most importantly, this movie talks about something that endures even when your memory has gone to waste. You can call it devotement, commitment, or love. Fiona may not remember who she fell in love with or why, but the feeling is still there. If Grant knew any better, he wouldn't doubt that fact. I found their story touching and reassuring. The only reason to get depressed is to think you may not have that kind of relationship when you grow old.

PS said...

...Ok, now I'm REALLY depressed.

Anonymous said...

lol U're not old YET