Monday, April 10, 2006

Review: V for Vendetta

Saw V for Vendetta this weekend. Finally.

I told myself I was gonna see this flick on opening weekend, but events conspired against me.

I'm happy to say it was worth the wait.

I managed to avoid having the movie completely ruined for me so I was still able to enjoy the story.

(the movie poster actually gives away too much in my mind - though the fact that it is one of the coolest posters I have ever seen makes up for it!)

This movie is not for everyone, however. It is very word-heavy and action-light. For those who are fans of the Wachowski's other opus, the Matrix, this flick is more like the end of the second movie and less like the third. Bring your thinking caps and keep your ears open.

The film's verbosity is saved by the fact that the lines are being delivered by a stellar British cast (Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, John Hurt etc.) with Natalie Portman thrown in.

The plot is compelling, the cinematography is interesting and the socio-political references are timely. A political action movie based on a comic book? Sign me up!



"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
- Hugo Weaving as V in V for Vendetta

No comments: