Friday, February 10, 2006

A blog of fresh air, or why I love Garth Turner

Wow.

Came across an article in the Toronto Star that talked about Garth Turner (Halton MP) who got in trouble with the Conservative Party bullies over his comments on the Emerson floor-crossing affair (see previous post).

When the Star article mentioned Turner had a blog, I sought it out. Wow.

THIS is what blogs are for. Getting the inside scoop, directly from the horse's mouth, without media filtering.

Wow.

I ate it up. I am now a die-hard Garth Turner fan. He is the man. He is everything a politician should be: principled, opinionated, outspoken. A snippet:

"Did I know the potential consequences of speaking my mind, or sticking with the principles that brought me to this cold hill? Yeah, I did. I have been an MP before, and a leadership candidate and a cabinet minister. I have the hide to prove it. I know the PMO has a song sheet it wants all caucus members to sing from, and I know what happens when an individual chooses to go his or her own way. I was just hoping this time I would not be asked to choose – between party and principle.

I chose principle. My deepest loyalty is to what I believe, what I told the voters and what I want Parliament to become. The Emerson affair may indeed blow over. The minister may decide not to take the heat. David may turn into a cabinet star and a national asset. But he should still have the conviction to get elected a member of the team he chose. The same team that I chose, and fought like a warrior to join, helped by hundreds more and supported by tens of thousands of others. How could any member of caucus not privately feel the same?"

Wow.

The guy speaks the honest truth to reporters, gets a brow beating from the PM and goes right back out and says it again and then some.

Wow.



"I like you. You have balls. I like balls."
- Terrorist, "Team America: World Police"

No comments: