Monday, September 18, 2006

Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip

I think I'm in love.

...and that means trouble.

Big Brother and Rock Star are finally over and I was thinking I might get away from my tv a little more.

Not so much.

I taped Studio 60 last night and got around to watching it today. It's freakin' great. But what do you expect from Aaron Sorkin, the mind behind the best show of the past 10 years: The West Wing?

Truth be told, however, this show is a lot more like Sports Night, the terrific but horribly scheduled precursor to The West Wing; it's a show about a show and the characters who put it together.

I wasn't surprised that I loved the West Wing alumni: Bradley Whitford and Timothy Busfield, with more undoubtedly to follow. I've always been a Busfield fan, and Whitford's Josh was probably my favourite character on The West Wing.

I was surprised I liked Matthew Perry as much as I did. He was the wild card in this for me. I loved him in the early years of Friends, but by the end he was just a drag. If the first episode is any indication, he's gonna be just my cup of tea in Studio 60.

Now for all you women out there: what did you think of the women characters? Is it true that there are no good roles for women anymore? I mean, the best characters in Studio 60 were Felicity Huffman (one-time appearance) and the P.A. girl. I didn't care much for Amanda Peet (Jordan McDeere) - she was a wash at best. But Sarah Paulson (Harriet Hayes) - wtf? You know, for this kind of role you can have a funny person with attitude, but a character with attitude who isn't funny? No thanks. Booooring.

The "show's" cast is the key here. If they're gonna have any believability, the cast has to be good, smart, funny. I mean, Saturday Night Live (the blatantly obvious inspiration) may not be as "cutting edge" as it was, but this is the same show that produced Will Farrell, Mike Myers and Tina Fey. They're still funny, interesting people. They're comedians. We'll see...

So, it seems the tv gods are conspiring against me. I'm gonna be hooked on another show. Add it to the list.

Crap. I just saw a commercial for a new Dana Delaney show with Timothy Hutton co-starring (Kidnapped). I think I'll be able to avoid getting hooked, but geez, Dana Delaney? I'd watch her with the volume off anytime...

And then there's James Woods in Shark. Love that guy. With Jeri Ryan as a co-star. ...Yeah, that wasn't enough for me, either.

Oh crap: and now Not Another Teen Movie is on.

Damn you, tv gods.


Danny Tripp: I have no reason to trust you and every reason not to.
Jordan McDeere: Why?
Danny Tripp: You work in television.
- Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

No comments: