Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

It's officially the countdown to Christmas: I put up my Christmas tree today.

Different people have different criteria to determine when they put up their tree. One of my friends has a family tradition of putting up their tree on Grey Cup Sunday (November 19, this year). Another refuses to put hers up until after her birthday (December 8th).

Is there a common rule of thumb for a tree trimming date? I don't think I've heard of one...

I don't think I'm excessively early, though; hell, some folks have had their Christmas lights up since the day after Hallowe'en!

Now to do that whole "shopping" thing...ugh.

Bah humbug.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Day after Thanksgiving, put up the tree, not before that would be rude:)any day after should be fine...as to tree trimming not sure Phil? Shopping:) Girls heaven I just spent the whole day shopping for myself *sigh* I know I know should be shopping for others but it is hard, maybe tomorrow:)

D.C. said...

I don't think so ... my mom refuses to put the tree up until the week before Christmas. Now, whether she's just fed up or we're just weird, that's up for a whole 'nother discussion.

Anonymous said...

Technically you're supposed to put your Christmas tree up on the first Sunday of Advent. You know, on account of the whole "Jesus" thing. But I like to put it up on December 1st, just because Christmas is what makes December great. Any time before then and I'd just be Hallmarking.

Next time you have the flu call me. My stick-to-your-ribs chicken soup is a sure-fire cure.