Monday, January 22, 2007

Film Review: Venus

Ok, now I remember the last movie I saw that I really liked. It was yesterday and it was called Venus.

It's in limited release and hasn't been getting much press, so don't sweat it if you haven't heard of it. In Toronto, it's only playing at the horrid Cumberland in Yorkville.

The movie tells the story of an old man and his budding friendship with a teenaged girl. It's kinda like Lost In Translation, but much more honest, stark and, well, creepy. If you can wrap your head around the old man's motives, you'll thoroughly enjoy Peter O'Toole's performance. I smell an Oscar nom.

Great performances all around by this cast, in fact. And that includes Jodie Whittaker who has the rather challenging role of the Lolita in the story.

Sure, you can wait for it to come out on video (I mean, there are no explosions, I'll give away that much) but I'm glad I saw this one before I heard too much about it.

Thumbs up.



"There are no pockets in a shroud."
- Leslie Phillips in Venus

No comments: