Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Selling used books

So I wanted to get rid of a bunch of books I owned before I moved. I didn't want to pack them up and lug them to yet another apartment where they wouldn't be read.

I ended up only getting rid of a couple.

Most will end up with my friend Aimee, eventually. She's going to be teaching drama at a camp, and I have a ton of theatre books. She couldn't get them before the move, so I decided to hold onto them for her. I'm such a wuss.

Today, I dropped by the Ryerson University used book store since they were closed on the weekend (bastards). They don't buy the books from you, but rather they sell them for you and pay you a percentage (consignment). That's fine. Except they only buy Ryerson text books (the real book store sells more than just text books). So they took a couple off my hands. If they sell, I'll make $60. Good luck. Oh, and if they don't get picked up within a year, they become the property of the university. Bastards.

So I took the remaining books in my backpack to BMV (Books, Magazines, Videos) just north of the Atrium on Bay. I figured what the heck, give it a shot. The guy behind the counter offered me $10 for a couple of UofT Poli-Sci textbooks and some French lit (don't tell mom). I figured there was no way I was lugging these to UofT, so I agreed. Hell, $10 is way more than I would have gotten for them at a garage sale.

So, if you've got some crap to unload, try BMV. But don't BUY anything there; it's insanely overpriced.

I guess they have to increase the margin to make up for the crap they buy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The guy behind the counter offered me $10 for a couple of UofT Poli-Sci textbooks and some French lit (don't tell mom).

... oooooh you're in soooo much trouble!!!