Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Movie Review: The Fountain (no spoilers)

I didn't know quite what to expect from this flick. I had heard very mixed reviews (it was sitting near 50% on rottentomatoes) about this movie that was supposed to be the kind of thing you watch when you're high.

It's definitely trippy. I'll give you that.

But I liked it. And no, mom, I wasn't high.

I'll confess, I've always been a Hugh Jackman fan ever since he brought a surprisingly convincing Wolverine to life in X-Men. But in his subsequent flicks he tended to be a little too emotional. I blame it on his musical theatre background.

But in this flick he hit the right notes (as did his splendid co-star, Rachel Weisz, who can also sometimes be too much). This is a very emotional story, no doubt, but Jackman still reined in his perfomance so that it wasn't over the top. And this could not have been an easy movie to act in. Like I said, it's hippie trippy and features some very...unusual ideas.

I'm sure lots of critics will hate the movie for being too confusing (especially if you don't know anything about the tales of the Fountain of Youth), but if you can keep up with the themes and stories, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't appreciate the unique nature of this film. And how often do you get to say, "I saw an original movie today"?

Thumbs up.

No comments: